Thursday, January 7, 2010

New Orleans Corn Bisque with Smoked Sausage??? Or Chowder?



Remember I told you I had found a recipe on the Internet. I found it at all recipes.com in case you were wondering and if I happen to be liable for mentioning that, lol. Safe and clean...whew! Well I made it tonight and all I can say is YUM! I changed it up to lower the calories.

New Orleans Corn Bisque with Smoked Sausage
(After tasting it I think it is a chowder, but I guess their name will draw more viewers, lol)

1 package (14 ounce) Turkey Smoked Sausage
1 medium Onion, chopped
1/4 cup Butter or Margarine
1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Ground Black Pepper
1 (15.25 ounce) can Whole Kernel Corn, drained
4 cups Skim Milk
2 cups Cubed Cooked, Potatoes, cooked, drained
Chopped Parsley (optional) ~ I used 1 Tbsp of Dry Parsley
Shredded Cheddar Cheese (optional) I left this off to save calories, not sure if it was figured in to begin with

Prepare Potatoes and set aside. Cut Sausage into 1/2 inch cubes. Melt Butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add Onion; cook and stir until tender. Add Flour, Salt and Pepper (this is where I added the Dry Parsley); cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Add Milk. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Add Corn and Sausage; return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in Potatoes; heat through. Top each serving with Parsley and Cheese if desired (didn't do this to save the calories).

Serves 8
263 Calories per Serving

I just have to say again this was great and a good choice for a snow day...the kids loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment