Thursday, January 14, 2010

Busy Day

Well I thought this morning that the day was going to be one of my worst. First waking to find we had over slept and only had 15 minutes to get the kids ready to meet the bus for school. I guess the excitement had just the opposite effect and kicked my butt in high gear. I started my Brunswick Stew on the stove, put a pre-divided pack of chicken leg quarters in one crock pot (thinking maybe some Chicken Tacos and a Casserole with that meat) and put the Pork Roast that was left over from my Brunswick Stew in the other crock pot (thinking some BBQ or Stuffed Potatoes) to plan for my weekend menu so I don't have to spend the whole time cooking. Made me some Coffee and Oatmeal with Splenda and sat down to enjoy my Breakfast. Loaded the dishwasher and made it work for me. Everything was all finished by 9 a.m. This is how I wish everyday would go. I should be so lucky.

Saw Cameron's Psychiatrist on Tuesday and we decided to up his ADHD medication to see if he might be able to stay on task a little better. We have talked about this a few visits ago but I decided I wanted to see how things went and well he needs some extra. We are doing a new technique of breaking down responsibilities. For instance when he has to clean his room I won't just say, " Go clean your room". That is just to big for him. So now we are breaking it down. I may send him in his room to pick 10 things off the floor. Then later tell him to make his bed. After a while passes I tell him to look in his closet and do 4 things to improve the look of his closet. WOW, this really worked. It took maybe 45 minutes in all to clean his room. This might seem like a long time to most people but usually I tell him about 20 times to clean his room over a course of 2 hours to all day (depends how worn out I become over the issue) and frankly it still isn't clean. Great Job Cameron!

Kevin and I went to Cameron's IEP meeting at the school today. It was a reevaluation meeting. Basically things are going as planned. Cameron is growing socially and fitting in. Grades are steady however the recent issues with his on task we decided to add the same technique that we are using at home to the classroom to avoid shut down. So when he seems overwhelmed or lost the teacher will have him just focus on one part of what he is doing at a time. And the other issue is related to his short term memory loss. I will work with him over the weekend to create a checklist he is responsible for every day and not forget homework items. We will meet in March or April to establish his IEP for Jr. High School. Our goal is to not hinder him in getting his diploma and graduating. All seems good at this moment. We will start the new medicine dosage this weekend since I like to keep and eye on him when anything changes. ADHD medicine can have a bad affect on someone with Bi-Polar sometimes, so you always need to keep a close eye just to be safe. Who can do this better than me?

Well looks like tonight will be filled with looking over grocery sales ads and coupons to plan my shopping for the weekend. I always enjoy saving money.

Something good is also going on in my life. With all the different medical and learning issues Cameron has had over the years I'm in the process of working with my Pastor to set up a support group that will help parents of children with various issues. I have to admit this has been on my mind for some time now and by the grace of God it will come to pass. I feel that there are many families that could benefit from such a group, probably more than we realize. So please keep me and my church in your prayers as we make this a reality to our community.

No comments:

Post a Comment