Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Healthy Steps

Weight has been a struggle all my life. I can't remember when it wasn't ever an issue. As a child hearing about every little thing I put in my mouth and every little activity I did made me want to shut people (at least their voices) out. I don't want my children to have the same issues. Cameron never had to deal with weight until a few years ago when he started his psychotic medications. If anyone has ever had to take or knows someone who has had to take these medication you know that it can pack the weight on you. Cameron gained 60 lbs. on his first medication in this category in about 4 months time. We have battled it in so many ways. I think as a child you just don't see the necessity of worrying about weight and activity level. Well his weight and health was a huge concern and that was what led his doctor and me to take him of all medications and start from scratch so to speak. Any parent that deals with any ADHD or psychotic issue with their child will find that you need to do this every few years anyway to make sure they are really benefiting from the medication. I know it has reminded us of how bad things can get. You tend to only remember what recently happened and forget what it was like a few years back. This has been a trying time for the whole family, but we are committed to always help our children grow in the best way possible (even when it means we have to step into an uncomfortable zone). So now Cameron is only taking a medication that is a hormone replacement for his bladder (actually common) and a new medication called Intuniv (used for ADHD but also for impulsive behavior...since we have both), which is not a psychotic medication. His medication that was causing weight gain should be out of his system in about 2 weeks (can you believe a medication can stay in your system for so long). Well with Cameron you can't spring things on him and this summer has been filled with a lot of changes. I've just quit my job, got him in a Christian Home School, ordered his curriculum, planned his days, and worked on my lesson plans (all including Cameron, so it has been a slow process). We haven't conquered the weight loss as of yet but today was a first step to getting him on board. I found a wonderful site, seems like I heard about it before but never checked it out. Livestrong.com is where I found myself a few days ago. I looked around and it really reminded me of the Weight Watchers online site I had done a while back for a few months. Online is easy for me and Cameron is very interactive so I thought maybe I should think about this. After further investigation...IT"S FREE! Weight Watcher's cost $20+ per month (couldn't remember exactly what I paid) and this would allow Cameron to have his own login so he would be the one watching his food and activities instead of me asking (nagging). So today I set myself up and he set him up an account (had to fudge his year born so he could do this...of course I never told him, don't want to give him any ideas). So far we have logged breakfast and a few activities. I just want him to be aware that he has choices and has the power to control them. I will update every now and then on how its going. I know for the next few weeks I will have to remind him to go online and record things since new things are hard to make a habit but I am very hopeful. I know lots of people struggle with weight/health issues so why not join us and give it a try. I'd love to hear how you are doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment