Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Productive Day




It was a great day with lots to do. We managed to find time to go to the fresh produce stand. Actually we went to two different one. We really scored today on the fresh stuff that we've been craving. The first stand we picked up some onions and yellow squash. The next we got corn, cucumbers, potatoes and green tomatoes. Off to the store to pick up some items needs including lots of fruit. We are really trying to make fresh our summer plan and the sooner we start the better. Kevin roasted the corn on the grill. I think it looks great.


Next I decided to see if I could come up with a healthier way to make the old southern classic fried green tomatoes. And I did...I ended up baking them. Everyone loved them, including Kevin who doesn't eat tomatoes. Then I created a fresh veggie pasta salad. Kevin grilled steak and we had a complete meal with some Rice A Roni. Everyone was stuffed and plenty of leftovers for lunches tomorrow. I love that!!

Baked Green Tomatoes (instead of fried)
2 Green Tomatoes in thin slices
1 box Jiffy Cornbread Mix
Salt, Pepper and Onion Powder to taste

I just mixed the Jiffy Cornbread Mix in a bowl with the salt, pepper and onion powder (all dry). I sliced the tomatoes and ran them under the water to wet them and then dipped them in the dry mixture covering them. I sprayed a sheet pan with non-stick spray and placed them on the pan. Bake them at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes. They were crispy and we didn't even need a dipping sauce.



Fresh Veggie Pasta Salad
Frozen Peas
Chopped Onion
Chopped Cucumber (take out the seeds)
Chopped Squash
Shredded Cheese
Pasta
Salt and Pepper
Miracle Whip

I just took all the veggies I had and chopped them the same size. Boiled my pasta of choice and ran it under cold water, seasoned with salt and pepper and added Miracle Whip until the right consistency. Mixed in Cheese and put in fridge. It was really light and fresh. Everyone liked it...well I had to force Cameron to eat it. I love salads like this you can't go wrong. I plan on making up lots of these this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment