Friday, October 23, 2009

Taking it easy...





Today was a strange Friday... a mix of work, relaxation and some fun. We slept in until about 8 a.m. and for us that was sleeping in. The kids straightened their rooms while I made biscuits and gravy for breakfast. After a Hearty Southern Breakfast, I started the daily laundry, cleaned the kitchen and the kids played for a while. Had to run to Walmart (didn't buy anything) just to sign and insurance paper to get Breanna's new glasses ordered... some new thing they do.

We came home and worked on our Halloween Treats. We decided to make Ghost Suckers and everyone pitched in. We will be handing them out at the Halloween Trunk or Treat at Christ Family Church Halloween Night.

Since it was raining this morning I thought I'd turn the A/C on because it was a little stuffy in the house. After about an hour I noticed it seemed hotter...yep it wasn't working. Dad came by and like before it froze up. We did survive the day with the doors open and breeze coming in since it did stop raining. Thank goodness dad came to the rescue...Kevin was at work.

Kevin is watching his diet and is trying to eat "heart healthy", so that means low-fat and salt-free. We shopped for some spices and decided on some Mrs. Dash. I've used it in the past a lot but had stopped buying it. I made Caribbean Baked Chicken, sauteed Squash and Onions with the Caribbean Seasoning and a little Orange Juice and then made some Garlic Scalloped Potatoes for dinner. It was pretty good and everyone seemed satisfied.

I had to drop Breanna off tonight to spend the weekend with her bio-mom...she had mixed feelings about wanting to go. But by the time we headed out she had stopped making excuses about not wanting to go. It must be hard to leave the place you call home and go to a place where you just aren't sure if people care for you. That issue seems to really be on this five year old's mind.

The boys are having game night, not wanting to read the directions and keep asking me everything. Kevin just got home from work and we plan to relax and watch some t.v. or a movie. Lately I'm wide awake again at night and he is sacked out before me...my insomnia is creeping up again. I wish I could just fall asleep like everyone else. You'd have to suffer from it to understand.

Oh, I wanted to share something with everyone today...

Be sure to teach your children that no matter what, it is always better to tell the truth. If you expose you children to learn that you tell lies or always try to cover something up, they will just mimic you. It becomes second nature and they really don't know any different. Think about this the next time you try to cover something up, make something sound better than it really is or just flat out change the facts...your child is striving to be you, and if you're a liar then you are teaching them to be one.


No comments:

Post a Comment