Tuesday, August 2, 2011

I made homeade pizza sauce...can you believe it!

Well the tomato plants are really doing great this year and I'm getting into something other than my family famous fajitas, southern tomato mayo sandwich and salsa. I decided to try my hand at a tomato sauce and since tonight was pizza night it was the perfect time. I think this would be great with spaghetti or any pasta dish. It would compliment chicken, steak, shrimp...I'm just so pleased at how it turned out and everyone in the family liked it. I will definitely make this often even if I have to used good canned tomatoes in the off season. So without further delay...

2 onions, chopped
1 tbsp minced garlic
olive oil
tomatoes on hand (I had 3 large ones)
Italian Seasoning
1 tbsp sugar
salt and pepper

I put some olive oil in my pan and sauteed my onions with salt and pepper until translucent and then added my garlic and Italian Seasoning. While this was going on I cored my tomatoes and removed about half the skin...most of the tomatoes were so ripe the skin was thin so it really didn't require it and it cooks down so I don't think it is necessary, then I diced them up and added them to my pan and brought to a boil and added my sugar. I let it boil for about 10 minutes and then turned it to medium low to simmer and reduce.

I'm so proud of myself...this was a first. I will never (well never say never) by tomato sauce again. I will try to always make mine and I'm sure it will make me famous. I forgot to take a picture but since it will be a regular recipe I'll get one on here soon. You know what this has to be good for any diet...

No comments:

Post a Comment