Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Caffine is our choice now.

Amoung Cameron's issues, he deals with ADHD like many other children and adults. He was diagnosed at a typical age in the first grade. We have had many stuggles with medication. I prefer no medication and I don't feel that all individuals that have been diagnosed with ADD or ADHD have to rely on medication. You should look at all options and choose the one that best suits your families needs.




In the beginning it was a struggle to find what type of medicine and dosage worked best. Over the years we have tried mulitple things on the market and in different dosages and combinations. We have also checked into diet adjustments. It is a trial diagnosis. Summer-time is the best to adjust diet and medications. It gives your child the flexibility to be his/herself. My concern was always how others were effected by Cameron's stuggles. I was concerned at what people might think at school, church, resturants, stores and of course family gatherings. I never wanted his issues to be obvious to anyone (we are and have always been very open about Cameron's diagnosis) or be any sort of disruption. We have modified his behavior greatly over the years and that, as he has grown has been the most effective way at controlling his day to day life issues.



About a month and a half ago we went to a new psychiatrist and he decided for my reasons to ween Cameron of his medication. I had been investigating articles about higher doses of caffine rather than taking a medically prescribed pill to control his ADHD. His new doctor seemed very incouraged that it might me an option to try now. So from that point on Cameron either drinks a Mountain Dew or coffee with breakfast and then another high caffine drink at lunch. I haven't been confortable with energy drink (Cameron keeps pressing me) yet. I think they might just be over the top for me and am thankful that it is all my choice as a parent. I have noticed Cameron is as settled on caffine as he is with his ADHD medication. I think as we move into our homeschool year I will be able to evaluate his focus better but it does look promising.



If you have the desire to try other options for ADHD in yourself or your child please consider this option. I'm not sure if it would have worked earlier or not but I'm very happy that we have tried it and for now it is the right choice for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment